West Feliciana and St. Francisville are steeped in history.
Bringing awareness to the next generation to connect to their roots, heritage and culture – a generation who envisions itself as part of the story of the African American people in West Feliciana Parish.
The Old Benevolent Society
The Old Benevolent Society of West Feliciana Parish was established after the Civil War to help freed slaves with burial. Over time, the organization grew to be an integral part of the African-American community. The Society cared for the sick, provided food for the needy, and even established an early form of medical insurance.
Built in 1883, the Old Benevolent Society building is located at 11738 Ferdinand Street in St. Francisville’s Historic District. Scroll down to view video on the restoration of the building.
“The Dawson Legacy” explores the legacy of John S. Dawson, an African-American educator who began teaching in West Feliciana Parish in the early 1890s. Dawson created an educational environment that not only taught, but also uplifted a generation of African-American students and their descendants
“The Story of a Building” focuses on the Old Benevolent Society Restoration Committee’s mission to restore the Old Benevolent Society building and make it an active educational and gathering space for the entire community of West Feliciana.